Here are some tips and information about corn:
- Recent developments have made the corn we buy today keep its sweetness for a few days rather than just a few hours.
- The secret is pre-cooling, a process that is done moments after the corn is picked that removes the field heat quicker than refrigeration.
- This slows the sugar-conversion process and prolongs the cob's life. Thus, the corn stays fresher and sweeter longer.
- Look for healthy green husks, plump kernels and silks that are moist and light golden, not brown and brittle.
- Remove husk and boil no more than two minutes in high boil in unsalted water.
- To store, wrap unhusked corn in damp paper towels; place in a plastic bag for an absolute maximum of two days. Just one day is ideal.
Pays to Stay Local
Think about it: would you want $13 or $45? For most people, that is a "no-brainer." Still, we have people shopping at the big box stores taking no thought for how it affects the community feel of our neighborhood.